Thursday, May 03, 2007

The final stretch...

I'm still here, limping along. Friday was pure hell. I had an appointment with the peri, then my OB, then a non-stress test. All told, I spent 4 straight hours of people poking and prodding me my belly. Baby B moved so much during the non-stress test that they couldn't track his heart beat with the movements like they needed to. They finally gave up, figuring if he is that active he is fine.

So, it turns out I need a C-section after all. Both babies are transverse, one on top of the other. The OB was very glad she had already scheduled me for Tuesday. Evidently, having twins transverse at this late stage is part of the reason why I'm in so much pain. They are truly stretching me to the limit. Last week, when Baby A's head was down in my pelvis, had been the day I felt the best. I guess he just doesn't want to stay there anymore.

My neighbor who had her twins a few weeks ago had been strongly against a C-section, and she has since told me now how wonderful it was--nothing at all like she expected. (She even had a previous vaginal delivery to compare it to.) I know that she too was in immense pain before the C-section took place at 37 weeks. Right now, every hour is such a struggle for me. It's nothing like I expected. My sister, who is 3 weeks behind me with a singleton, is still living a normal life, shopping and eating out, visiting friends. I've been cooped up and experiencing increasing pain for over two months.

My friends without kids don't get how much pain I'm in. They call all the time, asking to get together, and seem surprised when they find out I'm in bed asleep or resting. I feel like they see me as being melodramatic about the whole thing when I explain that I really can't do anything right now. One friend keeps pushing for me and H to go to the movies with her this weekend, yet I can barely sit right now.

Another friend keeps asking how soon she can come see the babies next week--she's asked no less than 3 times if she can be here the first weekend we're home. When I suggested she come see us briefly in the hospital instead and wait a few weeks before coming to the house, she started in on asking H about coming over.

I'm glad that friends are so eager to spend time with us and welcome the babies, but between them and family, I know it's time H and I make a game plan for setting some boundaries. Especially after reading Jenny's post about all her initial visitors!

3 comments:

Motel Manager said...

I think having twins in you this late in the game must be INCREDIBLY uncomfortable, and if they're transverse, WOW.

I am in a similar frame of mind re: visitors. This is clearly an individual thing - like I know people who loved having lots of visitors in the hospital, when they got home, etc. But I don't think that'll be me. I get stressed with too much activity around me. So we are planning to play all of that by ear.

I can't believe how soon your little boys will be here! Yay!

Sunny said...

WOW! I can't believe that you are here! I am so excited for you!

Jennifer said...

I am SO with you on this post. I am 34 weeks and one baby is head down and the other transverse. I am so uncomfortable. At all times. It takes such energy to get up from the couch to even go to the bathroom!

You are so close to the end! And then you will find some comfort at least! AND meet your babies!!